Red eyes problem – How to solve?
Almost all of us have had problems with red eyes. Red eyes usually appear during allergic rhinitis, after being indoors with cigarette smoke, or after swimming in a pool with chlorine. Optivar eye drops may solve this problem easily but we still will look more deeply.
The eyes have an unhealthy appearance, dilated blood vessels, and redness of the conjunctiva or sclera, the part of the eye that is usually white. It may also be accompanied by itching and lacrimation. The redness occurs when the small blood vessels on the surface of the eye dilate or become inflamed, usually in response to an external stimulus.
Most cases of red eyes are harmless and respond well to specific treatments.
So, let’s take a look at what we can do for red eyes and when we should see an ophthalmologist.
See an ophthalmologist if you have red eyes related to …
- yellowish, brown or green mucous discharge, as this may indicate an infection requiring medical treatment;
- pain in or around the eye or hypersensitivity;
- excessive sensitivity to light;
- fever or general malaise;
- A duration of redness of the eyes for more than one week;
- If you have been in contact with people with conjunctivitis.
- Treatment and care for red eyes
If you have red eyes but do not have any of the above serious symptoms, you can try certain palliative treatments.
- Using over-the-counter moisturizing eye drops
- Using over-the-counter antihistamine drops, especially if you have symptoms of seasonal allergies that are accompanied by red eyes
- Using antihistamine drops with steroids without a doctor’s prescription if you have previously been diagnosed with allergic reactions that cause red eyes
- Applying cold compresses to your eyes several times a day
- Avoid irritants that can cause red eyes, such as tobacco smoke, gases, pollen, dust, chlorine, or pet dander
- Wash your hands often. Try not to touch your eyes with your hands, and change sheets and towels daily.
Sometimes, read eyes may be related to lack of the rest. It can be solved by a good sleep, physical exercises & sport (some kind of wrestling or bjj, so take care to take cheap bjj rash guards in advance).